While we enjoy some serious greenery in the Pacific Northwest but it does come with a price, which of course is weed growth. So, in our next DIY article I wanted to explore some natural weed killer remedies for around your property. These are easy things you can do throughout the seasons without having to use nasty chemicals or spend a boatload at the store.
Here is a natural weed killer remedy that you can whip up just from the items you probably already have at home. It consists of the following:
- 1 Gallon of Vinegar (The more acidic the better)
- 1 Cup Salt or Borax (Borax is more potent)
- 1 Table spoon of Dish Soap (Helps it stick to the nasty weeds)
Couple things to keep in mind with this concoction is that it does not know the difference between weeds and plant you want to keep. A couple tips to help out with this problem:
- Take a plastic bottle and cut the bottom off. Use the top drink section to aim your weed killer and put the cut-out bottom over the weed you want to destroy. This will prevent the weed killer from getting on plants you want to protect.
- Use a spray bottle that has an adjustable nozzle so you can use a stream for a single weed or a spray setting for multiples.
One more thing to remember is that if you want MAXIMUM effectiveness do this during a sunny day so you can enlist the help of our good old friend sunshine.
Sounds crazy I know but a simple boiling pot of water can work wonders. This method is extremely useful for most walkways or driveways with cracks. Don’t need to say much on this simple natural weed killer but, boil water, pour into cracks, repeat until they are all dead and gone for good. I recommend pouring slowly to avoid getting any boiling water on your self though.
Lemons have the type of acid that can be used as a natural weed killer. This means that the bottle of lemon juice in your fridge that you forgot about may come in handy when your yard gets invaded by unwelcome guests. For a more potent weed killer, mix lemon juice with acidic vinegar. Same rule applies for the spray bottle nozzle of the plastic bottle trick to keep from harming the plants you want.
Now armed with the knowledge of some simple, natural weed killers go forth and enjoy your garden or flower bed that should flourish without the pesky weeds creeping in.